Offers & Career Decisions

Offers

Should I negotiate compensation before I actually receive an offer?

During an interview I was asked about compensation and now I'm worried I anchored too early. If I think the eventual offer may be below market, should I start negotiating before the firm has formally made an offer, or wait until I have something in hand?

Ian’s Answer

Oh boy, don't say a thing until they make an offer!

First, it would look extremely bad to start negotiating on your offer before you received it - do not do this!

Second, you don't even know what they will come back with.

Just wait. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. However, when/if they do make a final offer, you can absolutely say you received a 2.2x offer from another company BUT you really want to work for them...tell them if they can match/come close to that offer, you will sign on the dotted line.

Have a question for Ian?

Question submission is included with any Custom Case Coach course or coaching purchase.

Selected questions may be answered and added to the public Ask Ian library. Question submission does not guarantee a personal response or publication.